Makes six 4 oz jars
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
6 egg yolks
¼ cup white sugar
8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate pieces (at least 65%)
1. Measure the chocolate into a large heat proof bowl and set aside.
2. Measure the yolks and sugar in a medium heat proof bowl. Whisk to combine.
3. In a saucepan heat the milk, cream, and remaining sugar until hot to the touch and just beginning to steam.
4. Temper the hot milk mixture into the yolk mixture by slowly adding the hot liquid to the bowl, whisking constantly, until the yolk mixture is the same temperature as the milk mixture in the saucepan.
5. Add the contents of the bowl to the saucepan and cook over low heat until it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon and small bubbles have formed.
6. Strain over the chocolate and stir until the chocolate is melted.
7. Portion into individual jars and refrigerate 1-2 hours to set.